NAPFA Student Offerings
NAPFA values its student members, and has several offerings tailored specifically to the needs of those working toward becoming fee-only financial advisors, looking to become CFP professionals, or just getting more information about financial planning as a profession. Below are some of the offerings NAPFA encourages you to take advantage of as a student member of the organization.
SCHOLARSHIPS TO NAPFA EVENTS
Conference scholarships are open until August 27, 2022.
Diahann W. Lassus Scholarship
This scholarship was created to provide financial assistance to students from CFP® Board Registered Financial Planning Programs to attend a NAPFA National Conference. The scholarship will cover conference registration fees and a travel stipend of up to $300. Five scholarships will be awarded for each NAPFA conference (Spring and Fall). This is a program of the NAPFA Consumer Education Foundation (NCEF) Apply here.
NAPFA Genesis Conference Scholarship
The conference scholarship covers the cost of conference attendance, as well as a lodging and travel reimbursement up to $750. Scholarship winners are expected to attend the majority of sessions, the Genesis social, and the Genesis community meeting. The scholarship application submission period is closed at this time. Apply here.
Sid Blum Scholarship
The Sid Blum Scholarship was created to reimburse NAPFA members for their CFP exam fees (a value of $395, after NAPFA’s discounted pricing). One scholarship will be awarded to a NAPFA member for each exam cycle. To apply, complete and submit application.
Women's Initiative Scholarship
The purpose of the NAPFA Women’s Initiative is to attract, support, educate, and develop women as leaders within the financial advisory profession and to raise the awareness of the need for more female advisors. Currently, women make up 25% of all financial advisors in the profession. We hope this scholarship opportunity will encourage more women to explore this profession.
Applicants should be female students of any major enrolled in a college or university in the United States. Students who will be a sophomore, junior, or senior in Fall 2023 qualify. The scholarship award includes $2,500 toward tuition, preferable applied toward a personal finance course, complimentary 1-year student affiliate membership to NAPFA, and mentoring opportunities with the NAPFA Women's Initiative. Applications for 2022 are closed but will re-open in the winter of 2023.
There are several ways to get involved as part of the NAPFA community when participating as a student. Below are some of the most common ways:
- Join a MIX group. MIX groups are virtual groups created by shared interest, and NAPFA can help you find members to participate in yours.
- Attend your local Study Group meeting. NAPFA has over 50 Study Groups, which are a great place to meet fee-only financial advisors, get some education, and network with those who live in your area.
- Participate in Genesis. Genesis is a community for NAPFA members 33 and under, and they have their own Engage community, scholarship programs, webinar series, Facebook group, and study groups.
- Attend a symposium event. NAPFA's regions put on one-day symposium events where you can network with NAPFA members and get access to valuable education.
- Volunteer at a NAPFA conference. If you're interested in learning more about NAPFA's student ambassador program, email email@example.com for more information about how you can qualify for complimentary registration to an upcoming event.
NAPFA is here to help you make connections and seek out career opportunities in the fee-only financial advising profession. We suggest you take advantage of the following member benefits to build your skill sets and look for opportunities.
- Visit Career Corner. You can upload your resume, search for open positions, and discover intern opportunities.
- Attend Virtual Learning sessions. Genesis has its own webinar series, and as a NAPFA member, you're eligible for discounted pricing on NAPFA webinars, and any complimentary offerings.
- Get a complimentary membership. Once you pass your CFP exam, you're eligible for a complimentary year of NAPFA membership as a NAPFA-Registered Advisor. For more information on this, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The CFP Board Center for Financial Planning (“Center”) released a Guide to Careers in Financial Planning in September 2021 to provide students, career changers and financial services professionals with guidance on beginning and sustaining a successful and rewarding career in financial planning.