NAPFA Student Member Offerings
NAPFA values its student members, and has several offerings tailored specifically to the needs of those working toward becoming fee-only financial advisors, looking to become CFP professionals, or just getting more information about financial planning as a profession. Below are some of the offerings NAPFA encourages you to take advantage of as a student member of the organization.
SCHOLARSHIPS TO NAPFA EVENTS
Diahann W. Lassus Scholarship
This scholarship was created to provide financial assistance to students from CFP® Board Registered Financial Planning Programs to attend a NAPFA National Conference. The scholarship will cover conference registration fees and a travel stipend of up to $300. Five scholarships will be awarded for each NAPFA conference (Spring and Fall). The scholarship application submission period is now closed.
NAPFA Genesis Conference Scholarship
The conference scholarship covers the cost of conference attendance, as well as a lodging and travel reimbursement up to $750. Scholarship winners are expected to attend the majority of sessions, the Genesis social, and the Genesis community meeting. The scholarship application submission period is closed at this time.
NAPFA Genesis Regional Symposium Scholarship
Two winners will receive free registration at each regional symposium. Winners are selected by random drawing. First-time attendees receive two entries in the drawing. Scholarship is open to anyone age 33 and under. NAPFA Genesis membership is NOT required. The scholarship application submission period open for the fall conference. The scholarship application submission period is closed at this time.
Sid Blum Scholarship
The Sid Blum Scholarship was created to reimburse NAPFA members for their CFP exam fees (a value of $395, after NAPFA’s discounted pricing). One scholarship will be awarded to a NAPFA member for each exam cycle. The scholarship application submission period is open through October 14, and applicants can apply here.
Genesis CFP Scholarship
NAPFA Genesis provides multiple scholarships throughout the year for individuals pursuing the CFP® Certification. These are available for those who do not currently receive financial assistance for the cost of the exam. NAPFA Genesis members can apply to receive a scholarship, and if selected, upon passing the exam will receive a reimbursement for the NAPFA discounted exam fee.. All scholarship recipients will be responsible for initially covering the cost of the exam, and upon passing, will let Genesis know to receive reimbursement. For the discount code, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apply here, applications will only be reviewed for the upcoming CFP exam.
There are several ways to get involved as part of the NAPFA community when participating as a student. Below are some of the most common ways:
- Join a MIX group. MIX groups are virtual groups created by shared interest, and NAPFA can help you find members to participate in yours.
- Attend your local Study Group meeting. NAPFA has over 50 Study Groups, which are a great place to meet fee-only financial advisors, get some education, and network with those who live in your area.
- Participate in Genesis. Genesis is a community for NAPFA members 33 and under, and they have their own Engage community, scholarship programs, webinar series, Facebook group, and study groups.
- Attend a symposium event. NAPFA's regions put on one-day symposium events where you can network with NAPFA members and get access to valuable education. Registration has not yet opened for the 2020 series, but are planned pn the following dates:
February 3, 2020: Atlanta, GA
February 6, 2020: Los Angeles, CA
April 19 & 20, 2020: Philadelphia, PA
Check back here for more information on registration and the program in the upcoming months!
- Volunteer at a NAPFA conference. If you're interested in learning more about NAPFA's student ambassador program, email email@example.com for more information about how you can qualify for complimentary registration to an upcoming event.
NAPFA is here to help you make connections and seek out career opportunities in the fee-only financial advising profession. We suggest you take advantage of the following member benefits to build your skill sets and look for opportunities.
- Visit Career Corner. You can upload your resume, search for open positions, and discover intern opportunities.
- Attend Virtual Learning sessions. Genesis has its own webinar series, and as a NAPFA member, you're eligible for discounted pricing on NAPFA webinars, and any complimentary offerings.
- Get a complimentary membership. Once you pass your CFP exam, you're eligible for a complimentary year of NAPFA membership as a NAPFA-Registered Advisor. For more information on this, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.