Find An Advisor Resources
Thank you for being part of the NAPFA community!
We wanted to make sure you have the information that you need to best utilize your Find an Advisor benefit as a NAPFA-Registered Financial Advisor, so we've developed some resources to help you create and manage your profile.
Find an Advisor is a search tool that helps consumers find Fee-only financial planners like you. This search tool gets over one million visits a year, and can be a great way to connect with prospective clients interested in you via your profile and your firm’s website. Here’s some information on how to complete your profile and some tips for connecting more successfully with consumers looking for fee-only financial planners.
Navigating to Find an Advisor
To get to your Find An Advisor profile, log in to www.napfa.org. Under "Member Resources", and select "My Account."
You will then be in the first screen of your NAPFA profile. At the top of the page, select "My Account" again. On the left hand side, under Firm Information, select "Find an Advisor Information." Now you're ready to edit your profile.
How to Fill out Your Profile
Here’s what kind of information you should enter in each information block:
- Expertise: These are areas where you specialize. You can select up to six per advisor.
- Designations: Select any designation you’ve earned here. If yours is missing, contact the member services team at email@example.com so we can consider adding it to the list.
- Addresses: To add or change addresses here, please contact the member services team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your initial address is populated by the address you enter when applying to NAPFA. Subsequent changes must be verified by NAPFA in order to correctly display your latitude and longitude on the FAA map results.
- Firm Consumer Referral Email: Select which e-mail inbox you’d like your referrals to go to. Some members prefer their professional e-mail address, while other firms funnel all referrals through a more general address.
- Industry Start Date: Select the date you started in the financial planning industry.
- vCard Email: Enter your email address here—consumers will be able to download it as a vcard.
- Additional Profile Information: This is where you can enter information on other groups you’re affiliated with, what you do in your personal life (family, hobbies, etc.), your social media handles, blogs and publications you contribute to, and any other interesting information that will help consumers connect with you.
- Planning Specialties: This information should be about your approach to financial planning and your individual experience and approach to working with clients.
- Firm Information: Primary contacts can use this to update firm information.
Additional Helpful Information
- For the additional profile information and planning specialties, you can use up to 2,000 characters, including spaces and any code. It’s recommended that you first input your information into Word, and then cut and paste the text into your FAA profile to avoid formatting issues.
- The site can take up to 24 hours to update, so don’t worry if you don’t see an immediate change to your profile information.
- If you’ve paid for a web link, you’ll see a link to your firm’s website on the side of your profile. If you haven’t purchased one and are interested, contact the member services team at email@example.com.
- Consumers will often look at other information about you once they go to Find An Advisor. Make sure your website and any other online profiles are up to date.
- As a NAPFA-Registered Financial Advisor, you receive a complimentary basic profile on feeonlynetwork.com, a partner of NAPFA's. For more information on this profile, or to upgrade to a premium profile, contact Allan Slider.
- Need more information about online marketing presence? Here’s a good webinar (complimentary to NAPFA member) that was commissioned by NAPFA How to Create a More Powerful and Engaging Advisor Profile