DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM GUIDELINES
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is the country’s leading professional association of Fee-Only financial advisors—highly trained professionals who are committed to working in the best interests of those they serve.
Through its long-range planning process, NAPFA identified encouraging and promoting inclusivity in the field as a strategic imperative for the association. This led to the creation of the Diversity & Inclusion Initiative and the formation of a steering committee to steward any associated activities.
This Initiative operates under the following directives.
Our mission is to create a more inclusive membership by becoming a beacon for diversity within the financial planning profession by building and strengthening relationships between financial planning professionals and the diverse populations they serve.
Our vision is to become the standard for diverse advisors. We will do so by creating and promoting programs for underserved professionals to participate in career development and enrichment opportunities and championing their success within the industry and the communities they live in.
As a result, the organization now sponsors several merit-based Diversity Scholarships for both NAPFA members and non-members to attend a NAPFA National Conference.
- NAPFA Fall Conference
- NAPFA Spring Conference
Spring Conference / May 13-16 / Austin, TX
Submission Open Date January 15 – March 15, 2019 / Submission Deadline 3/15/2019
Notification Deadline 3/29/2019
Frequently Asked Questions:
What do the conference scholarships include?
- Conference registration fee (up to $1,395)
- Hotel accommodations for the conference (up to 3 days)
- Meals during the event (provided that recipients eat meals provided by the conference when applicable)
- Travel to and from the conference site (capped at $500)
- One-year paid individual membership to NAPFA (applicable to non-members)
- One-year free subscription to the NAPFA Advisor magazine (Included in membership)
Who is eligible to apply for the conference scholarships?
- Financial planning students and current Fee-only professionals.
What is expected of conference scholarship recipients?
- Attendance each day of the conference.
- Participation in local study group during the one-year paid NAPFA membership.
- Briefly speaking with someone from our Committee post conference to discuss your experience.
- The decisions to award these scholarships shall be made at the full discretion of the NAPFA Diversity Committee Scholarship Subcommittee or other body duly appointed by the NAPFA Board of Directors.
- All applicants are responsible for reading, understanding and abiding by all the scholarship program guidelines.
Complete application packages must include the following items:
Diversity Scholarship Application:
- Section 1: About Me – Fill out and return.
- Section 2: Short Response – Can be in written or video format. If in video format, submit in a reasonable format (YouTube, Vimeo, etc). Max time is 5-7 minutes. We’re interested in your uniqueness and encourage professional creativity in your video submissions.
- One letter of recommendation from either professor, firm manager/partner, supervisor or other financial services professional who has witnessed your work ethic or involvement in the financial service industry. This can be on original letterhead or via email clearly listing author’s name, position, company and contact phone number.
Scholarship submissions must be complete (application and letter of recommendation) and received at NAPFA by the submission deadline. Submissions received after the deadline, or still incomplete will not be forwarded to the Selection Subcommittee for consideration.