Financial Planning Coalition
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is a founding member of the Financial Planning Coalition, a collaboration among the Financial Planning Association® (FPA), the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standard, Inc. (CFP Board) and NAPFA. The Coalition's work educates legislators and regulators on the need to protect consumers, while creating a true financial planning profession.
The Financial Planning Coalition aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Financial planning services that are delivered to the public with fiduciary accountability and transparency, serving the client's best interest, first and always.
- Financial planning services that are specifically regulated to distinguish and differentiate professionals who have met essential requirements to practice, including examination, education, experience and ethics as modeled and enforced by the Certified Financial Planner™ certification.
- The recognition and regulation of financial planners to ensure that the public can clearly identify trustworthy financial advisors.
The Financial Planning Coalition’s efforts to advance a strategy to establish regulatory recognition of the financial planning profession:
The Coalition regularly meets with policy makers, and with consumer and industry organizations to discuss our goals and conceptual proposals, and to seek input as we work to further refine the details.
Our proposal is outlined in our Case Statement, and has been developed to further the goals outlined in our Statement of Understanding.
Statements and press releases
The Financial Planning Coalition distributes stakeholder updates, press releases and formal statements regarding the need for consumer protection and activities taking place in Congress to enact a strict fiduciary standard for all financial advisors.
- Financial Planning Coalition Statement on the DOLs Fiduciary Rule - June 9, 2017
- Financial Planning Coalition Statement on SEC Fiduciary Action - June 5, 2017
- Financial Planning Coalition Welcomes Implementation of Fiduciary Rule - May 23, 2017
- Financial Planning Coalition Urges Congress to Support Implementation of Fiduciary Rule - May 22, 2017
- Financial Planning Coalition Urges Congress to Oppose Delay of Fiduciary Rule, April 25, 2017
- Financial Planning Coalition Submits Supplementary Comment Letter Opposing Delay of DOL Fiduciary Rule, April 24, 2017
- Financial Planning Coalition Statement to Acosta: Commit to Fiduciary Rule, March 30, 2017
- Financial Planning Coalition Statement on the 2016 Election, November 9, 2016
- Financial Planning Coalition Files Amicus Brief in Support of DOL Fiduciary, August 25, 2016
- Financial Planning Coalition Commends President Obama for Vetoing H.J Res 88, June 8, 2016
- Financial Planning Coalition Extremely Disappointed about Lawsuit to Block Final DOL Fiduciary Rule, June 2, 2016